Mission Treasures: Historical Collection Revealed
Open Daily 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Location: West Wing
All items subject to replacement and rotation.
Featuring historic artifacts from the Mission’s past that have not been seen in decades, if ever, the collection includes precious and rare paintings, religious artifacts, and documents related to the Mission’s history, dating back as early as the 1700s.
New Items on Display!
The artifacts were originally donated to the Bowers Museum in the late 1930s to form a collection of cultural artifacts from prominent Orange County families. Key families such as the Forster family and others donated important family heirlooms to be displayed at the Bowers Museum, Santa Ana.
The artifacts include a field survey book (1886), a linen sheet (1800s), a photograph of Father Arthur J. Hutchinson, Mission pastor from 1933-1952 (pictured right) and a Spanish shawl (1800s). The silk Spanish shawl belonged to Ysidora Pico Forster, wife of one of the wealthiest landowners in Orange County. After her husband Don Juan Forster purchased the Mission at auction in 1845, she and her family lived in the former priests’ quarters until 1865. These artifacts illustrate the historical significance of the Mission and pay tribute to Ysidora Pico (1808 – 1883) and Father Arthur J. Hutchinson (1876 – 1951).