"Camposanto": A Historical Tribute to the Mission Cemetery
Open Daily 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Debuting Saturday, October 12, 2013
Camposanto: A Historical Tribute to the Mission Cemetery pays homage to the landmark Mission Cemetery, which is located east of the Serra Chapel. Historians believe the burials first began in 1781 and continued to about 1850. It is estimated that 3,400 were buried in the "Camposanto," or "Holy Field." Native American men, women and children, as well as Spanish soldiers and their families were laid to rest in the cemetery.